2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- What is a skirting board and why is it needed
- Types of floor skirting boards
- Wooden plinth
- The main advantages of a wooden plinth:
- Main disadvantages
- Installation features
- Veneered skirting boards
- Installation features
- Plastic skirting board
- Main advantages:
- Features of installing a plastic skirting board
- MDF skirting boards
- Aluminum skirting board
- How to choose the right one?
When finishing the floor, after choosing the material directly, for its arrangement, you should consider the types of floor plinths, and also choose the right one. This material, although small, but quite an important piece of decoration, and should not be forgotten. Its installation is carried out directly last, but the purchase should be provided even at the initial stage of repair. Note that the aesthetic appearance of the entire room will largely depend on the plinth.
What is a skirting board and why is it needed
Before proceeding directly to the choice of a plinth, it is worth deciding what it is and what functions it performs. It is worth knowing that the selection of material depends on the requirements of the premises.
As it has already become clear, such a part of the interior as the skirting board performs not only a decorative function, but also has a role in the quality and durability of the floor covering. Consider a number of basic tasks that this element performs:
- First of all, it is the insulation of the floor covering. Thus, wooden floors in rooms with high humidity do not swell, and when it drops, on the contrary, they do not dry out.
- Also, the floor plinth acts as a mask for unevenness in the flooring and walls at the joints.
- Another function is to hide some communications (often wires or cables are hidden under the plinth).
- Also, a useful function is to create a kind of transition to harmonize the color scheme of the floor and walls.
And in the same way, as in the case of color, skirting boards create a transition to the textured features of the coatings. Thus, the material either creates a contrast between them, or is combined with the design.
Important! When choosing this element, special attention should be paid to its appearance, shape, material from which it is made and colors.
Types of floor skirting boards
Now let's move on directly to considering the types of skirting boards. It is classified mainly by the material from which the production is carried out. Therefore, we will disassemble the features of elements from different materials.
There are six types in total, namely:
And now we will consider each of the types, their advantages and disadvantages, as well as the installation method.
This decor, made of wood, is used when laying laminate or parquet floors. Pine, spruce, oak, ash or cherry are used for its production. For the most part, the very kind of wood is selected from which the floor covering itself is made.
It is noted that this type of elements is the most popular and is presented in the construction market in a wide segment, from economy options to premium class.
It is presented in a large number of shapes and colors, among all the most common is a 6 cm high skirting board with a narrowing bottom. It is carried out with smooth cutting lines, which gives it an elegant look, and also helps when cleaning the room.
The main advantages of a wooden plinth:
- Noble origin of materials.
- Cleanliness from the point of view of ecology.
- High level of durability.
- Good aesthetic qualities.
- Very high price, which is why they are used when laying only expensive floors, for example, block parquet.
- There are no recesses, which completely eliminates the wiring without pretreatment.
- After installation, finishing is required, and in addition, periodic painting or varnishing.
- Installation is carried out only once, subsequently, after dismantling, it must be replaced with new ones.
Wooden skirting boards must be glued to a flat, dry and clean wall. Laying using the targeting method is also possible. When laying in corners, a file is required.
Important! In order to avoid cracks, the installation of such skirting boards requires the creation of a perfectly flat base of the floor and walls.
Veneered skirting boards
The second type of skirting board is veneered. It is a slightly modified wooden one. By itself, it consists of a wooden base, which is additionally covered with a decorative coating. The coating itself is made of veneer. Also, the surface is additionally treated for protection with varnish or melamine.
This option is somewhat more popular and in demand, in contrast to its wooden counterpart. This is due to the fact that it is cheaper, while it can imitate expensive wood species, and besides, it has a wider range of colors.
There are many models on the modern construction market that can have the appearance of both natural wood and its variations (laminated or tinted coating). Additionally, various curvilinear forms are performed, which allows you to design any part of the room as effectively as possible, including finishing round columns or podiums.
Among the advantages are noted:
- Environmental friendliness of the material, since it is made from natural wood.
- It is made to order, which makes it possible to choose a skirting board with exact geometric dimensions.
- Significantly lower in cost making it affordable.
- An almost limitless range of sizes, shapes and colors.
- Most of the models presented have special cable ducts.
But there are also inherent disadvantages, namely:
- Low level of moisture resistance.
- With decorative finishes, color variations are possible, which can sometimes spoil the appearance.
In total, there are two ways to install such an element:
- Using assembly glue, as is the case with standard wood.
- Mounting on special metal clips.
Important advice! When buying this kind of skirting board, it is worth considering the possible differences in shades, as well as the heterogeneity in tone of individual elements, as well as their slight visual differences.
Plastic skirting board
The most popular and inexpensive option is a plastic skirting board, which is made with foamed PVC and used when laying laminate and linoleum on the floor. There are also plastic skirting boards that just need to be glued to the wall with adhesive tape.
Note that a fairly large number of presented models, both in shape and size, are similar to their natural counterparts. But at the same time, there are channels for fastening and wiring.
In addition, such models have special grooves that allow you to fix roll materials (for example, linoleum or carpet). Thus, it is possible to completely select the ideal combination with the main floor covering.
Important! It is not advisable to use this look in combination with floors made of natural materials, since they will not look natural and will completely ruin the appearance of the room.
- They do not require additional processing and special care.
- They have a smooth surface.
- Moisture resistant.
- They are very resistant to the effects of household chemicals.
- They have a fairly low cost.
- They are lightweight.
- The presence of a special channel for wiring allows you to hide up to 5 cables behind them.
Among the disadvantages, it should be noted:
- Not a very high level of frost resistance in an unheated room.
- Requires additional use of connectors and plugs, which in turn greatly spoils the appearance of the coating.
Features of installing a plastic skirting board
Unlike previous types, installation is carried out in a hidden way using special fasteners.
Directly on the rear side, special channels are provided for this. A strip or special clips are previously fixed to the wall, after which they are inserted into the grooves.
When working with a flat surface, the step of fasteners is half a meter, in the presence of irregularities it is provided more often.
Considering the whole process in the form of a small step-by-step instruction, the following is noted:
- A clip is installed on the prepared floor.
- The place for holes in the wall is marked.
- Further, in accordance with the diameter of the dowels, holes are drilled.
- The next step is to tighten the screw and a clip is installed on its head.
- The last step is to fix the plinth, which is done by inserting the clips into the grooves.
Note that in the end we get a prefabricated system, which, if necessary, can be removed and then reinstalled.
MDF skirting boards
Such material is a MDF bar, which in its characteristics is much better than fiberboard material, while being much harder than it. At the same time, it is easier to process and cheaper. A decorative coating is provided on top of the bar, which allows you to imitate any materials.
Laminated or MDF, used when laying linoleum or laminate floors. At the same time, it is quite easy to work with it, since, due to its strength and flexibility, it allows you to completely hide all defects of the walls and floor.
Their advantages are:
- low cost.
- Moisture resistant
- Immunity to UV rays and contamination.
- Environmental friendliness.
- The presence of special gutters provided for wiring.
Among the disadvantages:
- During processing, they form a large amount of dirt and dust.
- Not resistant to mechanical stress.
Installation of MDF skirting boards is extremely simple but requires certain skills and tools.
The installation itself is carried out using special brackets, which are presented in the form of a hook. They are screwed to the wall, after which the plinth is put on top. The joints are hidden by special plugs.
This design allows the skirting board to be removed and reinstalled during repairs or even cleaning.
It is also possible to mount it on construction glue, but it is not used so often.
Aluminum skirting board
Quite often used in the decoration of office and residential premises. Popular for its distinctive, elegant appearance, while allowing you to hide the wiring.
- High level of durability.
- Ease of installation.
- High price.
- Small assortment.
Installation is carried out according to the same principle as in the case of MDF elements.
And the last type is noted for polyurethane. It has been used for a long time to seal the joints of walls and floors. It boasts excellent operational and aesthetic characteristics, making it a good competitor for wood elements. Quite often used in rooms with high humidity levels.
- Resistant to temperature and temperature changes.
- Moisture resistant.
- Has an elegant appearance.
- Small assortment.
- Low strength.
At the same time, we note that models in the shockproof segment are also presented, of course with a higher cost, but now the second drawback can be argued.
How to choose the right one?
In order to correctly determine the choice of floor plinths, you need to be guided by the following rules:
- The color must match the color of the flooring, doors and walls.
- If the color is slightly different from the color of the flooring, then the interior of the room will give an additional finished look.
- It must be suitable for the type of flooring and the characteristics of the room.
- Wooden skirting boards may differ in pattern and color.
- You should always consider the undercut margin.
- Also consider the characteristics of the room, and the need for wiring.
Now you know what types of floor skirting boards are, and now you can choose the one you need. An important factor is to take into account all our advice and recommendations, as well as, clearly form the goals that the skirting board should fulfill, and only then you will make the right choice.
And finally, we suggest watching several videos that will more clearly tell you about the features of each type and help you make a choice.
Salamander windows are some of the best on the window market. An overview of Salamander plastic windows, what profiles are made and how they differ. Salamander windows installation video
When deciding to equip a floor with a Z d pattern, using bulk two-component compositions to create an original masterpiece, it is necessary to prepare a room. But how to choose a self-leveling floor and what types exist? This is what is important to know. This is a range of compositions that differ in composition and characteristics, which are used for leveling
Portal glazing is becoming more and more popular. What are the portal window systems and where are they used, what are their advantages, what materials are they made from?
How to choose the right impact screwdriver that will greatly facilitate construction work. Overview of models and main characteristics of the tool. cost and most famous manufacturers
When choosing a toilet, you need to take into account the material of manufacture, the size of the room, and design features. Additional functions and correct installation will make your toilet more comfortable