2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
- Materials used
- Advantages and disadvantages of a metal roof
- Preparing to install the system
- Priming materials
- Sheathing device
- Rafter system processing
- Preparing mounts
- DIY seam roofing
- Additional recommendations
The roof of each building is one of the most important structures that protects the house from external factors. And along with this, the roof also becomes a kind of decoration. That is why it is necessary to choose and equip it correctly. A good option is to install a seam roof with your own hands. But for its installation, you need to know all the features of the design device.
Seam roofing has been used for quite a long time. Initially, galvanized steel was used as the main material, but today the list of materials used has expanded significantly.
Today, the following materials are used for its arrangement:
- The first, of course, we note the galvanized steel, which is additionally covered with primer and protective compounds. They, in turn, improve the performance characteristics of the material, as well as its durability.
- The next is copper, which is produced in the form of a roll material. By its texture it can be presented in its pure form, as well as with special textured embossing and patterns. Copper seam roofing has a significantly longer service life, which can reach 300 years. In addition, it should be noted that the connection of such sheets can also be performed using soldering, and not only by the folded method.
- Next comes aluminum, also available in rolls. Given the softness of the material, it is allowed to apply a pattern on it, respectively, imitation of other coatings, for example, tiles. Such a coating does not corrode, and besides, it does not lend itself to the effects of climatic changes.
- And the last is zinc-titanium. This type of coating is produced both in sheet form and in strips. Such material is rather fragile during installation, but at the same time has a high level of resistance to corrosion. It is also worth noting that it is incompatible with some materials and wood species, and besides, installation at low temperatures is unacceptable.
This completes the permissible used coatings, and now it is worth considering the features of this type of roof.
Advantages and disadvantages of a metal roof
Of course, this type of roof has gained its popularity due to a number of advantages over other types, among them are noted:
- High level of tightness.
- Additional thermal insulation.
- Good adhesion between elements.
- Durability, operating period, depending on the material, reaches several hundred years.
- Lightness, which allows installation without additional strengthening of the rafter system.
- Resistant to chemical compounds.
- It is not subject to the appearance of rust, mildew and mildew.
- Increased resistance to mechanical stress.
- The ability to cover any roof configuration, even complex ones.
- The service life of such a roof is 18-25 years without major repairs, after which painting and additional maintenance is required.
- And it is also worth noting the smoothness of the coating, which significantly accelerates the descent of precipitation from the roof, and helps to eliminate unnecessary stress on the structure.
But it is also worth paying attention to the shortcomings of the system:
- The disadvantages of a sheet metal roof can be the poor quality of the galvanized sheet (painted), this will lead to an increase in the cost of operation. So, for the first time after installation, a galvanized steel roof should be painted after 8-10 years. Subsequent painting should be done every 2-3 years.
- Roofs made of black steel require painting every 2-3 years.
- The roof slope is 18-30 °.
- It is also worth noting the noise of the coating. Thus, in the house it becomes audible how the rain knocks on the roof or the tree branch scratches. Fortunately, this disadvantage can be eliminated by providing an additional layer of steam and sound insulation under the material itself.
Preparing to install the system
Before tackling the installation of a metal sheet roof directly, it is necessary to prepare all materials, as well as the base for laying. As part of the preparation, it is necessary to perform:
- Applying a primer to the coating surface.
- Preparation of the rafter system.
- Treatment of rafters with protective compounds.
- Preparation of folded joints.
Let's consider each stage in more detail.
One of the disadvantages of some materials for standing seam roofing is corrosion under adverse atmospheric and environmental conditions. To increase the life of the roof, the sheet material should be primed.
Priming is a simple operation, which consists in the fact that steel sheets previously cleaned from dust are covered with natural drying oil on both sides. Drying oil is applied to the entire surface of the sheet in an even layer. In order to avoid omissions, a little grated red lead should be added to the transparent and colorless drying oil in a ratio of 10: 1.
The composition can be applied with a brush or roller. It is recommended to pre-prepare all the necessary sections of the coating, which is performed in accordance with the drawings and calculations.
Important! If you purchase a material already ready for installation, which has been pre-treated with protective compounds, then you do not need to prime it.
Depending on the selected metal roofing material, the lathing can be made in different ways. In particular, its design depends on the weight of the structure. In this way:
- For standard steel roofing, battens are installed in 20-25 cm increments.
- For zinc, copper and aluminum, a continuous crate is provided.
The lathing for a galvanized steel roof is made of bars with a cross section of 50 x 50 mm and a step width not exceeding 200 mm.
The lathing of bars can be replaced by a continuous flooring of boards, on which, first, an insulating layer of roofing felt or roofing is laid on top, and then a steel coating.
In addition, if a drainage device is expected in the future, then the laying of the lathing is performed without gaps along the rafter system. In the place of the future ridge device, boards are provided on each side. Additionally, if there is a gutter, a continuous boardwalk is provided in its place.
Rafter system processing
It is also worth well preparing the rafter system itself. In particular, treat with protective compounds, if this has not been done before. Namely:
- Protection against corrosion, mold and mildew.
- Fire protection.
- Compounds for increasing strength.
All types of formulations should be applied strictly according to the manufacturer's instructions.
And just before starting the installation, it is necessary to prepare the folded fasteners on the sheets of material. As already mentioned, it is worth pre-cutting the sheets to the required size in accordance with the prepared project and calculations.
The next step is the preparation of folds and the creation of pictures of the main plane and additional sections. Previously, the pictures are fastened together with folds, and form a solid coating for almost the entire slope.
In appearance, folded joints can be divided into standing and recumbent, and according to the degree of sealing - into single and double.
In addition, rabbits can be combined when device is required.
Note that the use of a single fold is permissible only when the roof slope is more than 15 degrees. If less, it is necessary to provide double vertical, the same method of adhesion is used in places of transitions, gutters, etc.
For the most part, already prepared material is sold on the market today, with snap-on folds, but if they are not available, you will have to prepare it yourself, which is done as follows:
- We place the sheet on a special workbench.
- To perform a single lying seam on a steel sheet placed on a workbench, a scribe marks the bend line of the seam edge.
- Then the risk is combined with the edge of the corner and with the help of a mallet, two lighthouse bends are made at the corners of the sheet.
- After that, at risk, the entire edge is folded back, the sheet is turned over and the folded edge is dumped onto the plane.
- The same blank is made on the second sheet. The first and second sheets are connected into a lock and compacted with a mallet.
Thus, pictures are created, which will later be mounted on the rafter systems. And now let's move on directly to the analysis of the technology for installing a metal roof.
DIY seam roofing
Do-it-yourself installation of a metal roof is quite simple. Let's consider the whole process in the form of step-by-step instructions that will not let you miss anything and make a mistake.
After preparing the sheets, we begin the installation process itself. The first step is to install the mounting profiles. They are mounted at the bottom of the slope, as well as at the top, where a ridge will be provided in the future.
The fastening itself is carried out with self-tapping screws for metal, or with special bolts.
After fixing them, we begin to fix the roof sheets directly.
We lay the first strip, the strip cone is carried out inside the upper profile, and over the lower one. We start fastening from the top. We fasten it to the guide profile with two bolts.
Then we move down and fix the sheet along the perimeter (in the place of the fold there are also special cells for fastening.
Now we install the second strip. Attachment to the guides is carried out in the same way. But now, we fasten one side of the sheet with a seam to the first, and fix the second with a threaded fastener.
- In the same way we equip all subsequent sheets.
The last step is to secure the ridge, which is made of the same material as the roof itself. The sheet is bent at an angle no more than the angle of the roof itself, after which it is threaded onto the guide profiles.
At this, the installation of the rabbit cover can be considered complete. All that now remains is, if necessary, to mount the drainage system, on how to do this in a separate material.
Installation is completed, and now you can admire the work of your work. Note that an important factor is high-quality fastening, since it is this that determines the tightness of the roof.
And it is also worth providing some tips for work and preparation.
- First of all, it should be said that it is advisable to provide a layer of hydro and vapor barrier before laying. It is recommended to use roll materials, for example roofing felt or roofing felt. Such a step will help not only insulate the roof, but also increase sound insulation, which is quite important for this type of coating.
- When installing a roof with a slight slope, it is recommended to fasten with a double standing seam.
- It is better to carry out the work with assistants, taking an additional 2-3 people, since it is rather difficult to properly align and fix the materials yourself.
- It is recommended to purchase a covering with ready-made folds, since special equipment may be required for their self-preparation, and this is an extra cost.
That's all, take into account all the tips, and then the device of a metal roof yourself will be quite simple.
Now you know how to properly install a seam roof with your own hands. As you can see, the technology for arranging metal sheets is quite simple, but one cannot cope with it. In order for you to more clearly learn how to carry out this type of work, we suggest that you watch several videos on their implementation.
What Is Ecowool And How Much Insulation Is Needed To Insulate A House And What Are The Pros And Cons
The material has good heat and sound insulation, the advantages are the cost and speed of application in one day (video). Make a quick calculation of the insulation calculator
Semi-dry floor screed in the apartment. Self-manufacturing technologies, with the help of guide beacons and with the help of reference sites and a laser level. Advantages and disadvantages of this type of surface leveling. What happens in case of violation and the rules of the work
Soft include roofing glassine and cardboard, roofing felt, roofing felt, roofing felt and other materials used for the manufacture of roofs, as well as for performing insulation and related work on the roof
What is liquid wallpaper? What are the characteristics of liquid wallpaper for wall decoration - advantages and disadvantages. Popular manufacturers, what textures are, how and how to apply them, how to prepare a wall
Colon hydrotherapy: pros and cons, reviewsColon hydrotherapy is a procedure that began to gain momentum in popularity among Hollywood stars at the end of the last century. It can be carried out in SPA centers, beauty salons and other institutions that specialize in bowel cleansing