2023 Author: Philip Bishop | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 07:54
Red meadow clover
What is red clover?
Red (meadow) clover - belongs to the legume family. The international botanical name is Trifolium pratense "trifolium". The medicinal effect of this plant on humans has long been studied, therefore it is widely used as an effective traditional medicine for the treatment of certain pathological conditions. The components of meadow clover have anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antimicrobial, astringent and analgesic effects. It promotes the activation of recovery processes, facilitates expectoration and mucus removal. In addition, the herb is used to prepare various dishes.
Red clover does not require special growing conditions and is found in the countries of Europe, Central and Western Asia, North Africa. On the territory of the Russian Federation, it is most common in the European part of Russia, Siberia, the Far East and Kamchatka. Clover is susceptible to the effects of anthropogenic factors, therefore it quickly dies in adverse conditions, after which it is difficult to recover. The plant grows in moderately humid meadows and dry lands, it is found on forest edges and clearings, it can be found in bushes and on the side of roads.
Red clover is characterized as a melliferous plant, but only certain species of bees with long proboscis can extract honey from it. Therefore, the productivity of 1 hectare of sowing is no more than 6 kg of honey. Such honey is distinguished by special healing properties, it does not succumb to the processes of sugaring for a long time and does not lose its properties. The plant is widely used for feeding livestock, sometimes it is planted for decorative purposes. Clover residues are used as natural soil fertilizers.
Several elements of the plant are used in cooking. So young shoots and leaves can be used in a salad or for cooking cabbage soup. Among the peoples of the Caucasus, it is customary to make blanks from clover for the winter by fermenting them.
The flowering of this herbaceous plant begins in the first decade of June, and the collection of fruits begins in August.
- Chemical composition
- Indications for use
- How is red clover useful for the female body?
- 10 medicinal properties of red clover
- Application for ARVI, colds and flu
- Procurement of raw materials
- Red clover recipes
- Pharmacological pharmaceutical preparations
- Features of use in women, men, children
- Contraindications and adverse reactions
The main components of a plant determine its medicinal properties and characteristics of its effect on the human body. The following chemical compounds are part of red clover:
- Flavonoids (quercetin, pratoletin, kaempferol).
- Fatty acids (most of all in seeds).
- Essential oils, which are distinguished by a strong antimicrobial effect, due to the coumarin methylic acid and furfural included in the composition).
- Organic acids (ketoglutaric, p-coumaric and salicylic).
- Essential amino acids.
- Glycosides (isotrifoline and tripoline).
- Proteins and fats.
- Water- and fat-soluble vitamins E, A, P, K, C, B1 and B2.
- Microelements (calcium in the form of salts and phosphorus).
Indications for use
Clover is widely used in medical practice for the correction and treatment of certain pathological conditions and a number of diseases.
Shown red meadow clover for medicinal purposes at:
- Atherosclerosis of cerebral vessels, hypertension (contributes to a significant reduction in blood pressure and eliminates headaches).
- Clinical manifestations of anemia.
- Rheumatism, myositis, arthritis and polyarthritis.
- Diseases of the respiratory system (pneumonia, bronchitis, ARVI, pathology of the ENT organs, influenza, bronchial asthma).
- Diseases of the reproductive sphere (inflammatory processes in the ovaries, uterus, painful menstruation, climacteric changes, in men - with impotence).
- Malignant neoplasms (both for systemic use and for local external exposure).
- Skin diseases (mechanical damage with bleeding of varying intensity, thermal burns, trophic ulcers, vitiligo, vasculitis, fungal skin lesions).
- Inflammatory processes, accompanied by the formation of purulent secretions (panaritium, secondary-infected wounds, boils, abscesses, bedsores and ulcers).
How is red clover useful for the female body?
In the course of laboratory studies, it was determined that phytoestrogens, hormone-like substances, are found in a significant amount in the clover extract. Their maximum concentration is observed in clover flowers. The following isoflavone types are defined here:
- Formononetin, etc.
Phytoestrogens act on the same receptors as female sex hormones, therefore, with sufficient concentration, they contribute to a similar effect on organs and tissues, namely:
- Reducing pain during menstrual bleeding.
- Normalization of the functional state after the onset of menopause.
- Minimizing wrinkles, increasing skin elasticity and tone.
- Strengthening bones, restoring calcium metabolism.
- Normalization of cholesterol metabolism.
- Phytoestrogens bind to the same receptors as hormones, therefore
Read more: 10 folk remedies to restore hormonal levels
10 medicinal properties of red clover
Due to the fact that the plant extract of clover has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiviral effects, it is widely used in the complex therapy of many diseases.
Application for bronchitis
The ingredients that make up the plant contribute to the liquefaction of phlegm, so it facilitates the removal of secretions. After several days of treatment, effective removal of viscous mucous discharge is observed. These properties explain the use of clover for whooping cough and other inflammatory processes of the respiratory system, which are accompanied by a cough. To achieve the most significant therapeutic effect, it is recommended to take the product 3-4 times a day.
Read more: Bronchitis
Application for infections of the genitourinary tract
The plant extract has a strong diuretic effect, which contributes to the rapid evacuation of the infectious agent from the urinary tract. In order to increase the effectiveness of therapy, it is necessary to strictly observe the drinking regime (at least 2 liters per day). A sufficient amount of liquid prevents the attachment of pathogenic bacteria to the mucous membrane of internal organs.
Application for skin diseases
The effectiveness of topical application is noted in various pathological processes of the skin. The extract has a double effect. It helps to cleanse the internal organs and eliminate toxins, which ensures the elimination of skin rashes. The effectiveness of treatment increases with strict adherence to the diet.
Application for hypertension
This herb is used for high blood pressure. The unique components that make up the extract stabilize cholesterol metabolism and dissolve atherosclerotic plaques. To normalize pressure indicators, the drug is prescribed in courses of 10 days at intervals of at least 3 weeks. If the regimen is observed, the positive effect is recorded after the end of the 1st course.
Read more: Hypertension
With ovarian diseases
The main therapeutic effect of red clover on such diseases is justified by the high concentration of phytoestrogens. Most diseases of the female genital organs are provoked by hormonal dysfunction, and red clover successfully compensates for the deficiency of female hormones. In cases where the pathological process is triggered by a bacterial infection, clover preparations also contribute to the rapid recovery and normalization of the patient's condition.
Application for breast cancer, mastopathy
The components included in the composition successfully suppress benign cystic processes in the tissues of the mammary gland. Phytopreparations provide safe normalization of hormonal levels and resorption of fibrous lumps.
The use of clover in the treatment of breast tumors requires an obligatory agreement with the attending physician. The maximum effectiveness of therapy is noted with an integrated approach to treatment, rather than an isolated intake of clover drugs.
Read more: Mastopathy - how to treat? Signs and symptoms
Application for oncological diseases
Isoflavones, which are found in large quantities in this plant, are an effective method of combating malignant processes of any localization. They significantly reduce the rate of development and reproduction of cancer cells, contribute to their natural destruction.
The most rational use of this herb for breast cancer, but there is a positive effect in other tumor localizations. The drug can be used to prevent cancer in patients at risk.
Application for joint pain
Meadow clover flowers effectively deal with inflammation inside small and large joints. They have an anti-inflammatory effect and help to reduce pain that often accompanies joint pathologies. The decrease in the activity of inflammatory processes helps to reduce the mechanical stress on the tissues. And the increased consumption of collagen from food contributes to their recovery. It is most advisable to take clover together with chondroprotectors.
Application for liver diseases
The plant allows you to fight various diseases of the gallbladder and liver. The plant's anti-inflammatory properties help to reduce the discomfort that accompanies such diseases. Clover helps to eliminate toxins and waste products, which ensures a complete cleansing of the entire body. After completing the full course of treatment, the normalization of the functions of the liver and its anatomy, digestion processes is noted.
Read more: Liver disease
Application for ARVI, colds and flu
In case of colds, clover promotes rapid recovery due to the following properties:
The unique composition of the plant explains its miraculous properties in a variety of bacterial and viral infections. The tool quickly eliminates the clinical manifestations of the disease (fever, cough, runny nose, headaches, etc.), helps to strengthen local and systemic immunity and prevents the development of serious complications.
Procurement of raw materials
How to properly collect and prepare clover so that all its medicinal properties are preserved?
- Collection. The optimal time for harvesting is the period of active flowering. This usually occurs from May to September, depending on the climate. It is most correct to collect not only the inflorescences, but the upper leaves, which are also rich in nutrients.
- Drying. It is recommended to dry the grass in natural conditions. The best place would be an attic or under a special canopy. Experienced herbalists recommend avoiding excessive drying of clover, due to the fact that this reduces the concentration of beneficial ingredients. After drying, the heads of the inflorescences should not crumble or fall off.
- Storage. To create optimal storage conditions, it is necessary to pack the grass in fabric bags and store in a dry place. It is not recommended to store the workpieces for more than 1 year. Subject to the storage rules, there should be no foreign smell, and the taste of the grass remains a little bitter.
Red clover recipes
Decoction and infusion recipe
These forms of the medicinal plant are the most versatile and available. They are widely used in the treatment of various problems. In this form, the drug can be taken both internally and locally for lotions, general and local baths.
Broth: For 1 glass of boiling water, 1 tbsp. l. dry inflorescences, boil all together over low heat for 1 minute, then insist for 60 minutes. It is recommended to take 1/2 cup 3 times a day, or one quarter - 4 times a day. The broth must be taken before meals.
A cool broth for local external use is prepared using the same technology as the previous recipe, but the proportion increases to 3 tbsp. l.
Infusion: A glass of boiling water is poured into 2 tbsp. l. dried plant, after which it is infused for an hour and filtered. It is necessary to take half a glass three times a day or 1/4 - 4 times before meals. It has a pronounced expectorant and anti-inflammatory effect.
Plant root decoction recipe
A decoction from the roots of red clover is necessary for the treatment of diseases of the respiratory system and oncology. To prepare this medicine, you need to take 20g of dry roots and brew 1 tbsp. boiling water, then leave to simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. After this time, cool the broth, strain and bring to the original volume with boiled water. Dosage - 1 tbsp. l. up to 6 times a day.
Tincture of red clover
It is an effective remedy for malignant neoplasms, headaches of various etiologies, high cholesterol and tinnitus. It is used to prevent viral infections, anemia, and oncology. As an external agent, it is used to treat the mouth and throat. Forbidden for thermal burns and on atopic skin. With extreme caution can be taken in patients with high blood pressure.
To prepare an alcoholic tincture of optimal concentration, a proportion of 4 tbsp is required. l. dry herbs in 500 ml of vodka or alcohol, brought to 40% by dilution. It is necessary to withstand the tincture for 10 days in the body. Dosage - 1 tsp. 3 times during the day and 1 time before bedtime.
Wine Seed Tincture Recipe
It is recommended as an effective treatment for male sexual impotence and impotence. Recipe: 1 tbsp. l. seeds are poured into a glass of red wine and processed in a steam bath for 30 minutes. The course of treatment is at least a month, 3 times a day, 1 tbsp. l.
Meadow clover tea
Safe natural remedy for the prevention of acute viral infections and increased appetite in children. 1 tsp a dry plant is poured with a glass of boiling water and infused for 5 minutes, after which it is drunk in small portions throughout the day.
Meadow clover juice
Freshly squeezed juice has the same characteristics as a decoction with infusion, only it is considered more effective. Helps to strengthen the protective functions of the body, helps to recover from illness, can be used for external use for suppuration of the nail bed or finger, cutaneous tuberculosis. To prepare an effective medicine, it is necessary to pass the herb through a meat grinder and squeeze with gauze. 1/3 cup is taken no more than 3 times a day.
An effective remedy for local action on thermal burns and dry irritated skin. To obtain medicinal oil, pour 1 part of dry inflorescences with 2 parts of olive oil and leave for at least 14 days. It is used exclusively externally as an ointment or compresses.
Fresh crushed red clover leaves
Can be used for quick healing of mechanical damage to the skin, in the treatment of abscesses, burns and rheumatism. Fresh clover leaves are washed under running water and ground in a mortar or meat grinder. The finished mass is transferred to sterile gauze and applied to the damage for 15-20 minutes.
Fresh inflorescences of red clover
Fresh red clover flowers can be taken in salads and soups for the treatment and prevention of vitamin deficiency. It tastes sweet and can be eaten in any quantity.
Pharmacological pharmaceutical preparations
The following red clover products are presented on the pharmaceutical market: extract, dry herb, drops and capsules for internal use.
- Drops, 50 ml. It is recommended to use them for the treatment and prevention of vascular pathologies, normalization of cholesterol levels, and correction of hypertension. Cost - 110 rubles.
- Capsules, 60 pcs. They can be used for the treatment of respiratory infections, viral diseases, anemias of various origins, hormonal dysfunction in women, complex therapy of atherosclerosis, psoriasis, eczema, trophic ulcers and burns. Price - 900 rubles.
- Red clover extract in tablets of 500 mg, 50 pcs. Food supplement recommended for maintaining women's health and strengthening the cardiovascular system and musculoskeletal system during menopause. Price - 2200 rubles.
- Wax extract, 100 gr. An effective medicine for the treatment of burns, eczema, allergic rashes, abscesses and abscesses, swelling and inflammation of the lymph nodes. Price - RUB 500
- Dry raw materials (inflorescences, leaves and stems), 50 gr. It is recommended to take for colds, bronchial asthma, whooping cough, respiratory diseases, anemia, tuberculosis, chest pain, angina pectoris, headaches of various etiologies, insomnia, inflammation of the vagina and rectum. For external use in the treatment of wounds, burns, scrofula, eye diseases and purulent ulcers. Price - 20-80 rubles.
Features of use in women, men, children
For women. It is recommended to use a decoction for douching the vagina and orally to relieve pain during menstruation. In clinical studies, it has been determined that clover decoction helps to correct hormonal levels during menopause, and can be an effective replacement for hormone replacement therapy. Women who took a decoction of red clover noted a decrease in the strength and frequency of hot flashes, stabilization of mood and other specific climacteric symptoms.
For men. Red clover is a natural aphrodisiac of plant origin, which effectively increases sexual activity in males (seed tincture is used).
For children. To improve appetite and prevent viral diseases, it is recommended to use tea, which also helps to improve digestion, cope with colic and abdominal cramps. When used externally, it is effective to combat exudative diathesis in the form of baths with a decoction and rinse after hygiene procedures. Children are strictly prohibited from taking alcohol tinctures.
Contraindications and adverse reactions
Despite the known medicinal properties, it is forbidden to take clover if one of the following contraindications is present:
- Pregnancy regardless of gestational age.
- Estrogen-dependent cancers.
- Constipation and chronic diarrhea of various origins.
- Acute forms of chronic pathology
- For alcohol-containing forms - age up to 18 years.
Severe heart pathologies, post-stroke conditions require prior consultation with the attending physician before starting red clover therapy due to the high risk of complications.
In addition, it must be remembered that the use of red clover for medicinal purposes can contribute to the appearance of the following adverse reactions:
- Skin rashes.
- Attacks of nausea and vomiting.
- Uterine bleeding.
It is not recommended to use herb and preparations containing red clover extract together with estrogen tablets, aspirin, liver enzymes, heparin, farfarin and tamoxifen. If necessary, take in combination with any other medications, you must first consult your doctor. This rule is mandatory for women and men.
The author of the article: Sokolova Nina Vladimirovna | Phytotherapist
Spots on the body and legs: types, causes of appearanceThe skin is the largest and most important organ in the human body. It not only protects the body from the damaging effects of the environment, but also signals an internal trouble one of the first
Lymph cleaning: types and indicationsAlong with blood, lymph and lymphatic system are vital for humans. Lymph is responsible for filtering and ridding the body of toxins. This was known for a long time, even the ancient Greeks called lymph "pure water"
Wild yamWhat is wild yam?Wild yam is a generalized botanical definition of Dioscorea villosa (Latin name Dioscorea villosa). Wild yam is a tuberous perennial. A climbing plant similar to a liana, reaching up to 4.5 meters in length. A favorite growing area is wooded mountain slopes, savannahs, sandy steppes, borders of forest edges
Rape: useful properties, recipes and contraindicationsContent:What does a rape look like?Is rape a weed or a medicinal plant?Useful properties of rapeMedicinal properties of rapeRecipes for infusions and decoctions of rapeContraindications to the use of rapeCommon Rape is a herb belonging to the Ripe genus, Cabbage family
Verbena - Growing Verbena, Properties And Uses Of Verbena, Essential Oil Of Verbena, Contraindications
VerbenaUseful properties and application of medicinal verbenaBotanical characteristics of verbena officinalisVerbena officinalis is a herb or shrub with an erect or creeping stem that grows up to 100 cm. The leaves of the plant are small, opposite, oblong